Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark...

Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday's Top 5... Movie Assassins

#5: Leon


Leon is not just a skilled assassin, he's a one man killing machine, capable of taking on a veritable army all on his own. Seriously, you don't want to get on his bad side.

#4: Nikita


A character so intriguing that she's inspired a remake and two TV series. How effective is she? Let's just say she kills the #5 selection (well, a character played by the same actor, at any rate).

#3: Martin Q. Blank


"Don't kill anyone!" Martin's psychiatrist implores. Oh, if only it were that easy. If you've never seen Grosse Point Blank - and why haven't you seen it? - check it out. It's one of John Cusack's best performances.

#2: Jules & Vincent


Not only will they kill you, they'll eat your cheeseburger first.

#1: Anton Chigurh


One of the scariest film characters of the last ten years, a relentless killer who mows down everyone in his path. You can't stop what's coming, my friendos.

4 comments:

R. D. Finch said...

Norma, good choices for a type of character that's hard to like. May I suggest Jef Costello (Alain Delon) in Melville's "Le Samourai" (1967)? Ice cold, deadly, and surely the best-looking hit man (male hit person?) in cinema history.

Norma Desmond said...

I haven't seen Le Samourai, though it is on my list of movies I need to see (a veeeeery long list). Soon, hopefully.

J. Drew said...

Terrific list. I wonder how close Raymond Shaw (Lawrence Harvey) from "The Manchurian Candidate" came to making the top 5?

Shubhajit said...

Interesting topic, and nice choice of "Movie Assassins"!!!

Pulp Fiction & No Country for Old Men are 2 of my favourite films, so loved seeing their unforgettable assassins topping the list. I liked Leon a lot too.

Though I didn't like La Femme Nikita much, but I guess I'm on a minority on that given its enormous popularity.

And finally, I too had found Grosse Pointe Blank a fun movie, and it was really nice seeing John Cusack's existential crisis-ridden assassin finding a place in your list.