Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark...

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Canadian Film Review: Naked Lunch (1991), Part One


Director: David Cronenberg
Starring: Peter Weller, Judy Davis

... Um...

Okay, so this isn't a proper review because, to be honest, Naked Lunch kind of broke my brain. So, I'm going to watch it again in the hopes that I'll actually be able to articulate some thoughts on it next week but, until then, here are the four things (and, yes, I did have to do some work to whittle that number down) that are troubling me the most about the movie:

The Bugs!


So bugs are everywhere. The typewriters are bugs. What you see above is one typewriter/bug attacking another typewriter/bug. This scene goes on for a while and gets really bloody and, also, the typewriter/bugs talk so you get to hear the dying typewriter/bug's death agony in all its glory.

The Bugs Some More!


Also, the typewriter/bugs are capable of morphing into sex organs or, at least, things resembling sex organs and then you end up with this business, which will haunt your dreams.

I... Don't Even Know


Seriously. I don't know.

Monique Merceur Becomes Roy Scheider


I mean, sure, why not? Monique Merceur ripping open her skin to reveal Roy Scheider underneath might actually be the most normal thing in the whole movie, now that I think about it.

So, there it is. To find out how I fare with a repeat viewing, check back next Thursday.

4 comments:

Tom Clift said...

I felt much the same way as you after seeing this flick for the first time. It's definitely a unique one...probably more interesting reading up about than actually watching.

Norma Desmond said...

Second time around was definitely better. I would agree that it's probably more interesting to read about (or even just to think about) than to actually watch.

PinkPanthress said...

Oh, that movie... I love it but hated the bug typewriters 'cause I was scared of them! :)

John Hitchcock said...

This is a really weird movie, and I think it might have broken my brain the first time I saw it as well. On a second viewing, though, I was able to appreciate it a bit more. In fact I'm actually working on a piece about it for the Spekeasy and Silver Screenings' O Canada Blogathon: http://hqofk.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/announcing-o-canada-blogathon/

One thing I can say about Naked Lunch, it is a very good deterrent if you ever find yourself compelled to start taking drugs.