Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark...

Monday, January 11, 2010

Kreativ Blogger Awards



Many thanks to The Film Forager for bestowing this award upon me and for the all too kind words she wrote about my blog. The rules of this award are as follows:

1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.

1-3 done and now, ugh, onto #4. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not particularly interesting so feel free to skip over these next 7 items:

(1) I have a B.A. in English with a minor in Film Studies. Suddenly this whole blog thing is makin' a lot more sense, eh?

(2) In addition to blogging here, I also contribute to Culturazzi, a one-stop shop for articles and reviews of various forms of art.

(3) I have a scar in the middle of my forehead from when I had chickenpox. My brother also has a chickenpox scar and it's in almost exactly the same place. Creepy, huh?

(4) My birthday is Christmas Eve. That's pretty much where the similarities between me and Jesus end.

(5) I used to work at a dry cleaners and once had a ten minute conversation with a guy about our ability to get... fluids out of his blankets. It was the most remarkable conversation I've ever had, mostly because he kept repeating, "I've just gotta get the cum out of these blankets." (He had people coming to stay with him, you see...)

(6) I'm oddly fascinated (and, of course, appalled) by the Real Housewives series and their very liberal definition of the word "housewife."

(7) I'm very concerned for the welfare of that dog from The Road.

And now the best part, naming 7 other bloggers for the award. So, here they are, 7 blogs I think are particularly worthy of notice in alphabetical order:

Bitchin Film Reviews: Blake's reviews are, well, bitchin'. Very well written and encompassing a wide range of genres. Blake's reviews have been known to determine whether or not I'll see a movie that I've been on the fence about.

Cinemascope: Some people can do with 100 words what others can't do with 1000. The reviews at Cinemascope are succinct, but their brevity shouldn't be mistaken for lack of insight. It's a great source for reviews of all kinds of films from all over the world.

The Cultural Post: I'm a big fan of Ahn Khoi Do's work, particularly his dedication to bringing awareness to Canadian films and TV shows. He's got great taste in movies and quite often his reviews inspire me to put a film on my "to view" list

Final Cut: If you like reviews but want more than that, Final Cut is the place for you. A nice mix of reviews, news and lists, plus the filmgeek draws attention to posts from other blogs that she finds interesting. There's a little something for everyone with this particular blog.

M. Carter @ The Movies: A blog I've only recently become aware of but it is awesome. The reviews are very well-written and insightful. She's currently at #19 in her Top 100 countdown, so hurry on over and get caught up.

The Movie Ness: A wide range of really great reviews from a writer who clearly has a great passion for cinema. Vanessa and I may have disagreed when it came to Nine, but by and large we tend to be on the same page and her reviews always bring to my attention something that I hadn't previously thought of.

Stop The Planet of the Apes I Want To Get Off: How could a blog with a name like that not be utterly enjoyable? I am especially fond of the monkey ratings system. The Hat reviews all kinds of movies, but his reviews of science fiction films are particularly great.

Okay, 4-6 done, now off to complete #7. Thanks once again to Alex!

5 comments:

blake said...

You are far, far too kind. Thank you so much for the award! I'll be posting a reply soon.

And your number five fact about you made my laugh out loud at the airport. I got weird stares.

Anh Khoi Do said...

Thanks a lot! I'm working on my post for the award.

Vanessa said...

Thanks so much! I wish I had a speech prepared ;)

filmgeek said...

Seriously, this is so damn exciting. I've been blogging for less than a year and it's nice to be recognised and appreciated :)

Shubhajit said...

Thanks a ton for the award and the good words. And given that the appreciation has come from someone's whose film viewing & writing I admire a lot, it has really made my day!!!

Thanks again :)